- Youth Leadership Program
Youth Leadership Program
This program is open to St. Joseph County residents who are Juniors or Seniors in high school.
We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future" - Franklin D. Roosevelt
To support our youth by helping them to develop the skills and attitudes they need to take part in government now and in the future.
To improve St. Joseph County for both current and future generations by connecting the local youth and the local government.
- Understand local government
- Build relationships
- Explore job options through career and leadership training
Participants would be required to participate in at least two community service projects that benefit the citizens of St. Joseph County and teach the importance of civic engagement. A list of approved projects will be handed out at the first meeting in October. These projects will include:
- Courts/Voter Registration – Assist in Elections
- Circuit Court – Court Experience
- Sheriff – Dare Haunted Hayride, Shop with a Cop, Explorer Post, Dare night at Skyzone
- Archives – Look up family history
- Portage Manor - Christmas Gift Program
- Parks/Soil and Water/ Purdue Extension- Rain Garden Installation, Invasive Species Removal, River Clean Up
- Health/Parks – Passport to Play
- Parks – Sugar Camp Days
- CASA – Christmas Toy Drive
- Create your own service opportunity
Participants would be required to attend at least five out of the seven scheduled meetings in addition to participating in at least two service projects as well as attend one Commissioner meeting and one Council meeting.