- Chapin Park - East Wayne Street - Edgewater Place -
- Howard Park - Lincolnway East - Muessel-Drewery Brewery -
- North Saint Joseph Street - River Bend - Riverside Drive -
- Saint Casimir Parish - Singer
Brothers Manufacturing Company -
- South Michigan Street - Taylor's Field - West North Shore Drive -
- West Washington -
The East Wayne Street local historic district was designated by ordinance
in 1987. The neighborhood is a example of 1920s suburban development and reflects the
prosperous years just prior to the Great Depression. In the 19th century,
the area was farmland located immediately outside the town of Lowell (founded
1837) on land purchased in 1859 by David Greenwalt, an affluent farmer
and real estste developer.
In the 1860s, the Saint Jospeh County Farm and Asylum was located immediately to the east of the
area. Jacob F. and John M. Studebaker, partners in the Studebaker Brothers
company, bought Greenwalt`s farm and other lots during the 1870s. They
eventually owned most of the surrounding area that became the Sunnymede
The Studebakers built country estates on their land. John`s property, called Sunnyside,
was built due north and was demolished in the 1950s. The oldest existing house
in the area was built for Ida Studebaker in 1895 at 1243 E. Jefferson.
Other prominent industrialists also built residences here, including the John
Birdsell house at 1249 E. Jefferson, and the more elaborate Beaux-Arts
residence of Clement Studebaker Jr., constructed in 1909 at 107 South Greenlawn
(originally 1701 E. Jefferson). Vincent Bendix, founder
of the Bendix Corporation, later owned this residence.
Whitcomb and Keller`s Sunnymede Addition, which the East Wayne district is located
within, was platted in 1925. The historic district encompasses the central portion
of the addition originally extending
from Eddy to 18th Street (now called Greenlawn) and from Jefferson to
the Grand Trunk Railroad tracks. This was the first of six Sunnymede additions
developed by Leslie Whitcomb and Fred Keller.
The subdivision was built to attract professionals to a part of the city that had already
become an exclusive enclave for the more prosperous members of the community.
The majority of residences were constructed between 1925 and 1930. It was accessible
to both Mishawaka and South Bend via the Eddy Street streetcar line, making
it a convenient area to live.
Sunnymede was modeled after design principals suggested by landscape architects
such as Frederick Law Olmstead in the late nineteenth century. These proponents
of suburban design suggested the inclusion of curvilinear, tree-lined
streets, park areas, and open spaces as important elements of planned neighborhoods.
Most houses here were designed in variations of the Tudor, Period or Colonial
Revival styles. Knute Rockne, Notre Dame`s famous football coach, lived at 1417 East Wayne in 1929 until his
death in 1931.