obtain the application for certified (or non-certified) death certificates, which must be filled
out for all requests, please Click Here
- Full name of person whose record is requested
- Date of death (approximately)
- Place of death
- Relationship to person whose record is requested
- Proof of relationship is required for a certified copy. (Proof of relationship is not necessary for an uncertified death certificate. Uncertified death certificates don't have social security numbers of the deceased listed and are for informational purposes.)
- Signed letter, return address and phone number
- Send to address below - attention vital records
- Number of copies requested
$15.00 for each Certified (or non-Certified) Death Certificate. For Genealogy Searches, there is a separate $7.00 search fee for up to 6 names.
Forms Of Payment For Mail Requests
(faxed requests are not accepted)
Money Order or Cashier’s Check Only (made payable to St. Joseph County Health Department)
*No Personal Checks Or Credit Cards*
Do not mail cash-we will not refund if lost.
If you would like to use a credit card or request UPS next day delivery, please visit www.VitalChek.com.
Forms Of Payment For In-Office Requests
Cash, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Money Order or Cashier’s Check (made payable to St. Joseph County Health Department)
*No Personal Checks*
SJCHD - Vital Records
227 W. Jefferson Blvd.
8th floor County-City Building
South Bend, IN 46601-1870